Ford has claimed more than 100 new patents building the 2015 F-150, meaning the truck will advance more in this generational changeover than it has between any previous generations.
Watch some of those new innovations being torture tested right here.
Here's the breakdown on tweaks for 2015 that Ford's most proud of, straight from the company:
• 2015 Ford F-150 has more new Ford technology patents and/or patent applications than any truck in Ford history, offering customers innovative technologies throughout – everything from the tailgate to the front end
• All-new F-150 boasts more than 100 new Ford patents and/or patent applications, making this vehicle a benchmark for new technologies in Ford's storied history of truck leadership
• A Ford-developed heat treatment method for aluminum alloy nearly doubles the strength of the material, helping achieve better dent and ding resistance while reducing weight
From its tailgate step to the LED spotlights found on the side mirrors, the next-generation 2015 Ford F-150's new features and technologies make it the most patented truck in company history.
"The all-new F-150 is loaded with innovation," said Alana Strager, Ford program analyst charged with tracking new innovations for the 2015 truck. "Ford engineers filed more than 100 new patents for technologies on this truck as they have worked to redefine the light-duty pickup for the next generation."
Patents and patent applications abound for state-of-the-art technologies covering new features and breakthroughs that will benefit customers of the all-new 2015 F-150. The scope of these innovations includes every part of the truck – body, exterior, interior, chassis, design, electrical and engine – as well as its manufacturing processes.
Patenting a smarter truck
Examples of Ford's state-of-the-art technologies on the new 2015 F-150 include segment-exclusive LED spotlights found on the side mirrors, innovative remote tailgate release and smart trailer tow features that make towing easier.
• Innovative LED side-mirror spotlights allow customers to illuminate the side of the vehicle for tasks from setting up a campsite to changing a tire
• Remote tailgate release automatically lowers the tailgate with the push of a button on the key fob – a first for a pickup truck
• Ford's pioneering tailgate step has been completely reengineered so it fully integrates into the tailgate, making it virtually invisible when not in use. The tailgate drops down into position in one easy motion. The grab handle is now housed inside the tailgate, which keeps the inner surface of the tailgate uniformly flat.
• BoxLink™ cargo management system includes lockable, die-cast aluminum tie-down cleats, and provides a unique interface to the box for improved flexibility and organization, as well as additional locations for tie-downs. Available segment-first cargo ramps can be stowed on the sides of the pickup box via the BoxLink system and mounted quickly on the tailgate to enable easy loading of ATVs, motorcycles or mowers
Other smart features never offered before on a Ford pickup include 360-degree camera view, integrated loading ramps stowed in the pickup bed, 400-watt power outlets inside the cab and LED headlights.
Mounted on an exceptionally strong and well-proven high-strength steel frame, the all-new Ford F-150 incorporates the latest high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloys to form the body and cargo box.
The aluminum is heat-treated using a proprietary method developed by Ford engineers that nearly doubles the strength of the metal. Ford is first in the auto industry to use this methodology.
Additionally, Ford engineers have filed patent applications for spot welding methods, adhesives and hydroforming this first-of-its-kind truck.
"Ford is teaching the world how to build a next-generation truck, and the more than 100 patents filed by the F-150 team for technologies on the 2015 truck further proves these Ford engineers and designers lead the automotive industry in innovation," said Strager.